Important info about developing on win95 and deploying web forms on solaris

From: Guy Dallaire <gdallair_at_criq.qc.ca>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 18:52:08 GMT

Hi to all,

I just wanted to tell everybody here that if you are developing on windows 95 or NT and then deploy on solaris with web forms, you might have big problems with the way your forms look like once deployed on the web.

Here is what we used to do:

  1. Design under win95, test in client server
  2. ftp (binary) the .fmb to the solaris server
  3. Regenerate the forms from the command line using f60gen in BATCH mode from a telnet session (terminal emulatuion, NO X windows)
  4. Test with a web browser

We had A LOT of display and fonts ans sizing problems with the forms back then. We then discovered that the problems were not related to java at all as we taught they were ! The problem is with the f60gen utility from oracle which is not linked with the correct toolkit ! It is different than f60desm (designed to run under X windows)

That will only be fixed on developper 6i (At least that's what THEY say, but you know THEM !)

WorkAround/Fix:

generate your forms with f60desm in batch mode or open the .fmb on solaris with f60desm and generate on solaris. You'll need an X terminal or an X terminal emulator to do this, even if you use BATCH mode.

Hope this will help people

[Quoted] P.S.: This is also true for developer server 2.1 (repacce f60... by f50...) Received on Thu Feb 10 2000 - 19:52:08 CET

Original text of this message