Re: 3rd party tools

From: Roger Bowden <roger_at_nomads.swinternet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 19:03:13 -0000

Hi, Michael.

We have just bought a set of Quest tools including Toad, SQLab Expert, Impact analysis and Schema Manager.

They seem very easy to use, fit in with each other well and interface with some of the other products we use, PVCS, for instance.

There are some things they do better than other tools and some things that are worse.

We did a trial of several products but, as we wanted several at once, this set seemed to fit our needs very well. Much better than Notepad, which was what a lot of the developers were using.

My feeling is you should get all the 30 day trial CD's from different companies and see which ones suit your working style best. I liked SQL Navigator from Quest but the developers wanted Toad. They are very similar but Toad presents some things better for the developers.

By the way, I am a DBA and have no connection with any of the firms who make any tools.

Roger. Received on Mon Nov 15 1999 - 20:03:13 CET

Original text of this message