Re: clients & repositories compatibility

From: Frank van Bortel <f.van.bortel_at_vnl.nl>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 09:47:24 -0800

stern wrote:

> I'm confused with Oracle's versioning and nomenclature.
>
> Does anyone know where I would find a compatibility table for client /
> repositories for the des2k / developpers tools ?
>
> is it possible e.g.:
> - access a designer 2.1 repository with a designer 6.x client ? (and the
> opposite)

NO! Well, not sure, but generally, some things change, either on the client, or on thhe repository side. Connecting incompatible versions could screw up your repository.
BTW, I thought there was a check since 1.3.x, so the client will disconnect.
What do you mean with the opposite? You cannot access a designer client from the repository. Unless you mean Developer V6.

> - access a designer repository with a jdevelopper client ? (and the
> opposite)

no. jdeveloper Enterprise Edition should be able to (expected RSN)

> Thanks in advance
>
> N. Stern

I don't think, that Designer (and Developer) V6 is a major release, but rater a renamed patch version of Designer 2.1.2 (check the functionality)
And yes, it is confusing, but Oracle is trying. The only reason there never was a Designer V2.0, is that Developer 2.1 superseeded dev2k 2.0 so fast, the Designer developement team decided to support that version, so they called Designer V2.1 (as it supports Developer V2.1)
Same is true for V6.

--
Met vriendelijke groet/kind regards,

Frank van Bortel
Technical consultant Oracle

Work:                                Home:
Inter Access V&L                     Hunzestraat 4
Palatijn 3, 7521 PN Enschede         7555 WB Hengelo
PoBox 545, 7500 AM Enschede          (31)074-2425046
053-4341500