Re: ERWin vs Oracle Designer

From: Dirk Bellemans <Dirk.Bellemans_at_skynet.belgium>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 22:19:08 +0100

IMHO, you have a "political" problem, not a technical one. No tool is good enough to be usefull when the users refuse to use it... Now, I'm from Belgium, so politicians over here "trade" things: if I give you this, you give me that... and they end up spending awefull lots of tax-money <grin>. But as to your question: Oracle Designer gives you "complete" round-trip within reasonable limits. So, it is possible to produce and change your IT-systems fast. But, only if everybody follows suit, which does not seem to be the case in your shop.

However, if you're going to mix tools, I believe you'd be better off to separate the modelling from the programming and just program in whatever you feel fit. Give the DA his toy and ask for compensation on your side (lots of nice tools, like SQL Navigator and the like), this would be the best bet in a Belgium company with enough money to spend...

Anyway, if the DA (and his manager) would be resentfull, they'll f*** up the modelling, and you'll be blamed for bad tuning, I fear. But I can't see what your CEO is thinking, and that's what it all depends upon...

--
Dirk Bellemans
Modify email address to reply (use .be instead of .belgium)

OraSaurus wrote in message ...

[snip]

>It isn't that I "want to win" - or even that I feel commited to Designer.
Its