Re: Problem with rman in Oracle8

From: Frank van Bortel <f.van.bortel_at_vnl.nl>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 11:36:15 -0700

Achim Steffes wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> i have the problem, that im not able connect with rman to a remote
> database. I have SUN with a 2 databases, one with a testenvironment and
> another with the rman-catalog. I have no problem to backup the
> testenvironment but i'm not able to connect with rman to another
> database which is running on a SUN-Cluster. The cluster has no password
> file, i'm able connect to it with sqlplus and so on,but when i try to
> connect to it via rman i receive an oracle-1034 oracle not available or
> logon/password not correct. I'd be very happy about any hint to this
> issue.
>
> Thanks
> Achim Steffes
> vwd-IS

Looks like your rman instance is not up and running... Assuming you have the ORACLE_SID set to the production db, the listener is up and running, and allows to connect to rman as well as your prod db, the syntax is:
rman target (taget connect string) catalog (catalog connect string), so something
like:
rman target / catalog rman/rman_at_rman. This of course also assumes a ops$oracle account with dba privs on your prod db. Something like
rman target sys/change_on_install_at_proddb catalog rman/rman_at_rman should also work.

--
Met vriendelijke groet/kind regards,

Frank van Bortel
Technical consultant Oracle

Work:                                Home:
Inter Access V&L                     Hunzestraat 4
Palatijn 3, 7521 PN Enschede         7555 WB Hengelo
PoBox 545, 7500 AM Enschede          (31)074-2425046
053-4341500