Re: Oracle Books

From: Suresh Bhat <suresh.bhat_at_mitchell-energy.com>
Date: 1999/08/04

Ann,

[Quoted] Contrary to what Paul Dorsey said in his post, I think you can learn the basics of Oracle as long as you have access to some Oracle database and a couple of books that he mentioned.

I have never taken any Oracle/UNIX/Windows or any other classes but learned everything on the job and by doing things and reading books.

Now a days on MS Windows there is good help, que cards, query by examples and plain examples available on any of the Oracle products in on line help.  A case in point is Forms 5.0.

Most Oracle jobs are in Forms design and developing. At any shop you need 1 DBA and posssibly
10 to 15 developers and most of them would be developing forms and/or reports. Even though I am a DBA and have come through the application development side I still enjoy forms development.

I would postpone DBA stuff until couple of years later down the road when you get familiar with Oracle.
For right now I would suggest concentrate on SQl, SQL*Plus, PL/SQL and Forms.

If you ask me which 1 Oracle book I would recommend for Forms, SQL, PL/SQL etc. That would be

    Oracle Developer/2000 Forms. The Practitoner's Guide by Albert Lulushi

Although, it is heavily oriented towards forms design, it also does a good job on SQL and PL/SQL for beginners and it costs less than $45 at Amazon.com. You can also browse it at Barnes and Noble.

Good luck !!!

Suresh bhat
Oracleguru
www.oracleguru.net
oracleguru_at_mailcity.com

Ann <arroo99_at_yahoo.com> wrote in article <arroo99-0308992121210001_at_ts48l36.pathcom.com>...