Re: Oracle Books

From: Paul Dorsey <pdorsey_at_dulcian.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 10:37:39 GMT

Of course you can learn on the job, but note that Ann asked about learning on her own.
I have done consulting with organizations that bought a raft of Oracle products, paid for training, and then tried to build their systems. Those systems invariably crashed and burned.

People I have hired from inexperienced Oracle shops may have worked in the Oracle environment for a year or two but have come up with crazy ways of doing things.

The Oracle environment is mature and there exists a culture of best practices that are every bit as important as knowing the syntax of a command. I can point to numerous examples of people/organizations trying to learn this environment in a vacume that crashed and burned. Perhaps you are the brilliant exception to this rule that can reinvent an entire industry's worth of collective wisdom on your own.

Bottom line, I do not believe that it is possible to become a qualified Oracle professional in a vacume.

--
Paul Dorsey
Dulcian, Inc.