Re: Oracle Books

From: Paul Dorsey <pdorsey_at_dulcian.com>
Date: 1999/08/04

First, I would simply say that one does not learn Oracle on their own. That said, it isn't even rational to ask about learning "Oracle" in general. The Oracle environment is large and complex. There are numerous professions within Oracle. There are

    DBAs
    Designers
    Application Designers
    Data Modelers
    SQL, PL/SQL coders

The foundation for all of this is relational theory and SQL. I would take a class on that and then go to an Oracle conference or take a few classes.
Many colleges and universities have some classes of uneven quality. There are also industrial classes offered by Oracle and others.

Back to your question.
Your basic library should include

For SQL
Oracle, the complete reference (Oracle Press)

For PL/SQL
Feuerstein's PL/SQL book (O'Reilly)
Urman's PL/SQL (Oracle Press)

DBA stuff
DBA Handbook (Oracle Press)
Aronoff, et al Advanced Tuning and Administration

Basics
Ulka Rodger's A Database Developers Guide (Prentice Hall) Ensor's Oracle 8 Design Tips (O'Reilly)
And with a shameless self promotion: ... Dorsey's and Hudicka's Oracle 8 Database Design using UML Object Modeling (Oracle Press)
Koletzke's and Dorsey's Designer Handbook (Oracle Press)

--
Paul Dorsey
Dulcian, Inc.