standards for response time? 3 tier web deployment.

From: Scott Felten <sfelten_at_pilot.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 09:52:32 -0400

Hello,

I am using developer to create the front end for a mini data warehouse. I will deploy in three tier method using an NT app server and an HP370 as the database server. At the client, they simply have a browser. These exist in the same building in Virginia. I also have offices in Conn and Ohio. Our WAN has a T1 backbone. I am trying to optimize the performance of the application, but am wondering what I am supposed to compare it to.

My initial results are as follows:
Locally, it takes 15 seconds to load the applet (to get the login box). Then it takes about another 4 seconds to sign in and get the application. Then it takes about 1 second to go from screen to screen (here I hide and display windows/canvases).

In Ohio, it takes 30-45 seconds to load the applet (to get the login box). Then it takes about another 10 seconds to sign in and get the application. Then it takes about 5-10 seconds to go from screen to screen (here I hide and display windows/canvases).

Any thoughts on this? We are gathering another few days worth of metrics. What are the critical points of this scenario?

Any help is really appreciated! Any white paper also appreicated!

Thanks in advance,

scott felten Received on Fri Jul 23 1999 - 15:52:32 CEST

Original text of this message