Re: job on timer

From: Graham Miller <lgmiller_at_elmrd.u-net.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 17:38:15 GMT

Hi Bob,
[Quoted]  To find out more about the various DBMS_* packages it is worthwhile having look at the code which defines them. They are very well commented, including examples of use!

You will find the source code in the 'admin' directory under 'oracle_home'. All the files have names starting 'dbms'.

The common ones to look at are: dbmsPipe, dbmsJob, dbmsAlert and dbmsLock.

dbmsJob will 'only' run PL/SQL code. You need to change a couple of the database 'init' parameters to provide processes to run the jobs.

It is an excellent facility as Oracle automatically re-starts the job queue when it comes up. I use it to run a 'listener' for error message reporting which sits on the end of a pipe and writes error messages from any PL/SQL client to an error messages table. It runs as a 'dbms_job' and is always available.

One book which explains some of this nonsense is 'Oracle PL/SQL programming' by Oracle Press.

graham