Re: Reverse engeneering Oracle

From: Fred Ruffet <fruffet_at_kaptech.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 09:50:10 +0200

>As an alternative to ERWin, do yourself a favor and try ER/Studio from
>Embarcadero Technologies, Inc. http://www.embarcadero.com

In my search of the mighty tool I know, I tried it... and find it pretty cool.

>Explore the sub-model feature, perhaps by creating logical sub models and a
>'master' model if desired.

Possibilities are wide...

>I'd appreciate hearing your impressions about the tool if you try it.

Well, I've found it interressant. What I found cool is that it reverses in NATIVE oracle, and not in ODBC, so the job is done rapidly, even on a big Database (I mean, you don't have time for a coffee). It's true that ir offers a very large number of possibilities, but, I believe, there are best tools...
What I've tested : ER/Studio (Embarcadero), WinDesign (Cecima), SilverRun-MRD (SilverRun), PowerDesignor (Sybase) and 4Keeps (A.D. Experts). My favorites are WinDesign and PowerDesignor (Power AMC for french people like me). They don't reverse in Native Oracle, but they have advantages (and they use the Merise method, which is powerfull). In fact, my main problem with ER/Studio is the interface. You know, when you don't like an interface, you can't do anything... But I recognize that it's a powerful program.
Concerning the Demo version, I don't think it's a good idea to limit the numbers of runs. I've wasted all my utilisations with windows crashes. I know it's a detail, but it didn't made me laugh...

>(I have no affiliations of any kind with Embarcadero)

I don't have more with Cecima, or Sybase, but you should test WinDesign (www.win-design.com) and PowerDesignor (www.sybase.com).

Regards,

Frédéric Ruffet - fruffet_at_kaptech.com "Rest is silence" - W. Shakespeare Received on Tue Jun 29 1999 - 09:50:10 CEST

Original text of this message