Re: Reverse engeneering Oracle

From: <rtproffitt_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 16:39:45 GMT

Fred,
I see your point...

However, I would just like to comment that if you use one tool initially and then settle on another later, there is a lot of "wasted" effort in re-doing work... Usually the "drawing" you do in one tool won't directly translate into another tool...

This was our dilemma after managing the database in ERwin for awhile...So much time was invested in ERwin (with good results), that when a decision was made to standardize this database with all the rest and move to Designer 2000, we realized that it meant completely re-reverse-engineering the (re-importing) the database...Since D.2000 did not reverse everything perfectly, nor put the drawing in the same form or position as ERwin, it meant that there would need to be a lot more work to get the model back to its same state as it already was in the first tool (ERwin in our case). The decision was made just to leave it alone for awhile, and not force changing tools for "tool's sake". The DBA, however, did use D. 2000 as a learning tool, but the real live model stayed in ERwin.

Good Luck,
Robert Proffitt
RTProffitt_at_beckman.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
[Quoted] Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Jun 25 1999 - 18:39:45 CEST

Original text of this message