Re: Is there a tool for visual data browse and input?

From: <kaiserrj_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 17:27:13 GMT

I've found MS Access to be very handy in a development environment.

Cleaning up the back end (adds,deletes, changing data) after running test cases takes about 8 seconds.

I link to the backend (using ODBC) and save password. While saving password is security-dangerous, it makes accessing tables seem instantaneous.
(stated again: it's only for a developement environment)

Now when I need to dust recently added test data, I double-click the table to view, add, edit or delete. Silly sorting operations take 2 clicks.
(another security issue

  • with SQL, one has to know how to botch data, with Access, anyone can do damage)

It's a fast operation to create an Access query to join tables, add complex where clauses, and add functions to where clauses. Same goes for modifying queries, the quick cycle time is valuable when your hunting for answers.

On complex queries, I out-gun our best SQL folks by so much that they stare at their fingers and wonder how anything could be faster.

The only problems are security, and a tendency for developers to stray from tables and queries and start making forms, reports, and applications.

Later, Rich

In article <7ksbts$rc0$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   Johnson Chao <zhao_at_ctc-g.co.jp> wrote:

> Hello:
> I would like to know if there is a convinent tool for data browse
> input in oracle. The Enterprise Manager can only manage the scheme
> object. If I want to input some test data to the table, I have to use
> SQLPlus to manually input the data.
> The temporary way I have found is to use the Visual Database Tool
> from Microsoft to input the data through ODBC driver using a grid
> form. But unfortunately, sometimes it acted strange. I do not know
> the reason.
> Also, if I want to batch input a lot of test data, how can I do?
>
> Thanks in advance
> --
> Johnson Chao
> ctc Japan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Jun 25 1999 - 19:27:13 CEST

Original text of this message