Re: Process blocking

From: <twod_at_not.valid>
Date: 2 Apr 1999 01:44:43 GMT

Mark Wagoner (mwagoner_at_no.spam.iac.net) wrote:
: I have tracked it down to where the first transaction is blocking but
: I don't know how to determine why it is blocking. The first app is
: trying to delete a row from the same table the second app is updating
: a single row. They are not the same row, however.

Are there any delete cascades going on ?

I guess the delete cascade could be locking tables/rows that something in the update requires - contstraints, etc. I do recall that in some 7.x version of Oracle that if there was no index on the FK column in the child table, the entire child table would be locked.

Use the v$ and dba_ views and/or enterprise manager whilst the apps are running to see what is being locked and by whom.

IAP

--
I am using anti-spam measures, please replace 'not.valid' with 'value.net'