Re: Output from PL/SQL-Package

From: James Petts <jpetts_at_celltech.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 10:34:20 GMT

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999 19:46:50 +0100, Andreas Schwanzer <andreas.schwanzer_at_applied.de> wrote:

>I have a problem using the dbms_output.put_line('MY_STRING') within a
>PL/SQL-Package-Procedure. This command shows its output only, if the
>procedure is finished. Is there a way to produce within
>PL/SQL-Package-Procedure a output to the screen, something like a status
>bar, to tell the user, what's going on?

Not directly: DBMS_OUTPUT output is buffered, and is only output at the end of the procedure. Also, if the procedure terminates with an unhandled error, then you may not get to see the output at all. What you need to do is encapsulate the calls to DBMS_OUTPUT in procedures of your own, best done using a package. The difference is that when you call your output routine, you will get the output as soon as your output terminates.

Absolutely the best place to look for information of this kind is in the three books written (or co-written) by Steven Feuerstein and published by O'Reilly & Associates. He has written a marvellous piece of software called PL/Vision which includes the functionality outlined above. You can download this from http://www.revealnet.com and try it for free for thirty(?) days. Alternatively, there is a free, but less functional version available from the same site.

James Petts Received on Wed Jan 13 1999 - 11:34:20 CET

Original text of this message