Re: Is Designer2000 wothwhile?

From: SROCEO <sroceo_at_aol.com>
Date: 13 Jan 1999 06:04:00 GMT

I have been a user of Designer since it was CASE 5.0 so I may be a bit biased.

Designer is a good tool for not only large scale bottoms-up development but for reverse engineering and system documentation as well. Of what I have seen it is my favorite. There are many Designer users and vendor packages that are being created using Designer.

Your choice of a CASE tool will depend largely upon what your needs are. If you need to perform logical and physical data modeling as well as function modelling then Designer is a good choice. If you only plan on creating data models then you may want to find a CASE solution that will allow you to purchase the CASE modules that you need. Platinum/Logicwork's ERwin and BPwin are an example of CASE modules that can be purchased seperately. Silverrun can also be purchased as seperate modules.

I would caution however, about mixing tools from different vendors. You will not be able to maximize the benefits of the tools as well.

Just my thoughts,
regards, Received on Wed Jan 13 1999 - 07:04:00 CET

Original text of this message