Re: Need sql*loader help

From: Nuno Guerreiro <nuno-v-guerreiro_at_invalid.telecom.pt>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 14:19:10 GMT

On 17 Dec 1998 13:39:20 GMT, Ryan Richards <rrichard_at_gibson.ns.ionet.net> wrote:

>FYI: I am using Oracle 8.0.4 on Solaris 2.6 with SQL*Loader 8.0.4 and SQL*Plus 8.0.4.
>
>I created a table called PROJECT that will simply hold a project number, task number, and project name.
>I have created a control file that contains ONE record. I was going to practice with SQL*Loader to see
>how it works. But when I do a 'sqlldr myid/mypw control=project.ctl' (my control file) I get the
>following statement. I assume this is what it is SUPPOSED to say:

>SQL*Loader: Release 8.0.4.0.0 - Production on Thu Dec 17 7:33:29 1998
>
>(c) Copyright 1997 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
>Commit point reached - logical record count 1 (rememeber I am only using one record)
>
>BUT when I go to sqlplus and do a select * from project (my table) I get a 'no rows selected'.
>
>I look in the project.bad file and there is my one record. I look in the project.log file and here
>is what it says about my record:
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Column Name Position Len Term Encl Datatype
>------------------------------ ---------- ----- ---- ---- ---------------------
>PROJECTNUMBER FIRST * , O(') CHARACTER
>PROJECTTASK NEXT * , O(') CHARACTER
>PROJECTNAME NEXT * , O(') CHARACTER
>
>Record 1: Rejected - Error on table PROJECT.
>ORA-01401: inserted value too large for column
>
>Here is what my control file looks like:
>
> LOAD DATA
> INFILE *
> INTO TABLE PROJECT
> FIELDS TERMINATED BY "," OPTIONALLY ENCLOSED BY "'"
> TRAILING NULLCOLS
> ( projectnumber,
> projecttask,
> projectname
> )
> BEGINDATA
>"894001000","0000","Some Project Name"
>

>ANY help would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>Ryan

Could you please give a description of the table structure?

Apparently, a value in the record is too large for the table field.

Have you declared all fields as character type?

Nuno Guerreiro

As I don't normally appreciate unsolicited commercial e-mail (widely known as SPAM), I encoded my e-mail address. If you want to reply by e-mail, please remove the text added to fool spam software

"The art of arts, the glory of expression and the sunshine that lights the light of letters  is simplicity"

                                                        Walt Whitman Received on Thu Dec 17 1998 - 15:19:10 CET

Original text of this message