Re: NET8 TCP/IP connection invokes phone dialer--why?

From: Christopher Allen <progplus_at_gte.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 15:42:29 -0800

[Quoted] I spoke a little too soon. The technique does work, but it has a strange side effect. If you have an opinion about it, I'd like to hear it.

When I add the server's name and IP address to hosts.sam and lmhosts.sam, and then use Net8 Easy Config to set up an alias, the first Test I do starts the dialer. If I cancel the dialer and Test again, the connection to the server succeeds. Subsequent Tests during that run of Net8 Easy Config also succeed.

In SQL*Plus, when I try to connect the dialer also starts. I cancel it, and the connection succeeds without my having to try it again.

With SQL*Net--the actual target protocol because the client is going to run Developer/2000--the connection works fine.

Any idea how to get rid of that dialer problem?

Thanks again,
Chris