Re: NET8 TCP/IP connection invokes phone dialer--why?

From: Kevin Martin <brasscannon_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: 15 Nov 1998 18:30:07 GMT

"Christopher Allen" progplus_at_gte.net wrote in <72l4o0$l9d$1_at_news- 2.news.gte.net>:

>I spoke a little too soon. The technique does work, but it has a
>strange side effect. If you have an opinion about it, I'd like to hear
>it.
>
>When I add the server's name and IP address to hosts.sam and
>lmhosts.sam

Oops! The .SAM ending is for SAMple files -- they are examples and are not actually read by your system. After you add your addresses, save the new files as "hosts" and "lmhosts", with NO file extension!

My best guess: What you did to the hosts.sam file didn't make any difference. BUT you also say you gave it the server's numeric IP address in the setup, instead of using the name from the hosts file -- which (sort of) eliminated the need for it to do DNS. That's why you can kill the dialer and still connect successfully. Meanwhile the OS is scratching it's pointy head because it doesn't see a route, so it still tries to dial. That seems to explain the situation.

(If the above was just a slip and you really DID rename the files to hosts and lmhosts, of course, then I'm all wet and we need to hear from someone who knows more about this specific product.)

Try this: First rename the .sam files on the client to hosts and lmhosts, no extension. You may need to reboot to make it take effect. Then see if you can make the connection giving the server's NAME, not its numeric IP address.

--
Kevin Martin <brasscannon_at_bigfoot.com>