Re: SQL*Plus Question : DESCRIBE command

From: Mike Daniell <mike_at_helix.com.au>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 12:46:50 +1000

Teresa,

You can get the equivalent information (and more) by selecting from DBA_TABLES, DBA_VIEWS and DBA_TAB_COLUMNS. If the tables and views are all owned by the user running the SQL*Plus session, you can use USER_TABLES, USER_VIEWS and USER_TAB_COLUMNS.

DESCRIBE DBA_TABLES etc to decide on the info to include in your SELECT. Include COLUMN_ID from DBA_TAB_COLUMNS (or USER_TAB_COLUMNS) in your ORDER BY clause to list the columns in the same order as DESCRIBE.

Hope this does what you want.

Regards,
Mike