documenting an unknown table structure

From: Posting <posting_at_Compact.COM>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 02:24:54 -0400

[Quoted] Our systems integration and test laboratory has several vendor teammates working on their parts of a distributed system. The system is like nailing jelly to the wall at the moment, and there is little or no documentation, especially on the newest pieces. We are trying to stabilize the process and would like some easy way to document the current state of the Oracle databases. To run our integration tests, often we have to identify and then beg for that item in some table that holds the data we need to change.

[Quoted] [Quoted] Are there any simple tools we could use that will render the current table structure buried in a running Oracle database into an ASCII file? I know I could issue a set of manual commands, but I was looking for something with a modicum of intelligence. We figure we can save this ASCII representation as a placeholder for real documentation, and for tracking changes to the database structure.

These databases run on NT and AIX boxes. I very much appreciate any information you might share.

Thanks alot!

Lester

--
A. Lester Buck		buck_at_compact.leavmeoff.com