Re: documenting an unknown table structure

From: Jonathan Gennick <gennick_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 27 Sep 1998 05:28:39 GMT

On Sat, 26 Sep 1998 02:24:54 -0400, Posting <posting_at_Compact.COM> wrote:

>Are there any simple tools we could use that will render the
>current table structure buried in a running Oracle database into
>an ASCII file?

LogicWorks has a product named Erwin that you could look at. They are at www.logicworks.com. It's an expensive product, but it will reverse engineer your database and store the resulting information in a data model. You can even work from that to draw an ERD diagram. Relative to what you are after though, you can come back at a later date and have Erwin compare the model to the database. Any changes will be detected and reported. I've used this tool and have found that it works reasonably well when all you are interested in are tables, views, constraints, columns, datatypes, defaults, etc. I've had less then stellar results when using it to track stored code, such as a stored procedure or a trigger.

Jonathan Received on Sun Sep 27 1998 - 07:28:39 CEST

Original text of this message