last_record

From: Michael Toomey <michaelt_at_americanrecruitment.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 22:14:09 GMT

[Quoted] one of my forms 4.5 modules is likely to be required to support large queries (ie. 2000 - 3000 record returned). users will browse through these returns one at a time or 25+ at a time.

initially, i had four buttons on my toolbar:

<< < > >>

back 25, back 1, forward 1, forward 25

defined as:

[Quoted] go_record(to_number(:SYSTEM.TRIGGER_RECORD)-25);
do_key('up');
do_key('down');
go_record(to_number(:SYSTEM.TRIGGER_RECORD)+25);

i found the performance to be miserable when scrolling back 25 records at a time.

[Quoted] figuring that i had to play with the "records buffered" and "records fetched" settings, i tweaked them every way to sunday and had no significant performance gain (unless i set them to 999, which will never cut-it on some of my small client machines).

[Quoted] fallback option was to abandon the +/- 25 records idea and change to FIRST_RECORD and LAST_RECORD.

new problem is that LAST_RECORD takes minutes to complete. this seems crazy ... the initial query takes about .25 seconds to complete.

[Quoted] so, questions:

  • Is LAST_RECORD useless when you have a large number of queried records?
      [Quoted]
    • Is there some parameter that i can change to fix either of these problems?

i also have had the runtime crash on me if i click too quickly on the up/down. maybe related?

thanks for any help.

please email: mailto:michaelt_at_americanrecruitment.com

-mt Received on Tue Aug 11 1998 - 00:14:09 CEST

Original text of this message