Re: OEM invalid page fault

From: Clay Davidson <davidsonc_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 1998 16:19:07 -0400

Try installing it on another Win95 machine. Windows is generally flakey and will often crash for no apparent reason. In ALMOST every case I have seen with a GPF or invalid page fault (basically same thing), something somewhere is stepping on memory. Often, you have some other program running which uses an area of memory which it does not block out correctly. Often, you have mismatched DLL's on your system.

Troubleshooting this can be tedious.
Suggest trying it on a couple of other Win95 machines. If it runs OK on ANY of them, then you have a configuration problem on the machine it does not work on. If that turns out to be the case, you can download a shareware program called DLLExplorer. Think it can be found at www.realsolutions.com.au but may be mistaken. Search for it on the web if url is suspect.

This (or similar programs) will give you a list of all exe's, dll's, and more that are running in memory.
Compare what files are loaded on the machine that works to the files that are loaded on the machine that crashes. Do this while program is running. Make sure you compare dates, sizes, and directories being loaded from. After much tedious comparison, you will usually track down the problem.

Hope this helps,

clay
davidsonc_at_earthlink.net
clay_at_his.com