Re: Generating large size reports with Reports 2.5

From: DanHW <danhw_at_aol.com>
Date: 24 Jun 1998 01:24:36 GMT

>Have anyone encountered the problem when generating large size reports with
>Reports 2.5 on a normal PCs with average memory capacity (32-64M), the PC's
>resource seems to be used up and hardly any other task can be performed. I
>wonder if there is any method of putting the workload back to the server, is
>there any suggestion ? Thanks
>
>Regards,
>Ken

Normally, the server does all the work it can on the server. However, that is by definition only DB-related stuff. The work that is done on your PC is the formatting (the presentation part). However, I do not know exactly where code [Quoted] in report-level triggers gets executed. If there is a significant amount of work done in report-level procedures and triggers, see if you can move the processing to the DB by putting it in packages and procedures. At the very least, you will probably avoid sending as much data out on the network.

Dan Received on Wed Jun 24 1998 - 03:24:36 CEST

Original text of this message