Re: Y2K query - Forms 3.0

From: Eddie Fung <iggster_at_netspace.net.au>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 11:52:01 GMT

>I have the same problem, but I wonder if there might be a better
>solution. Is there any way to get forms 3.0 to recognize
>'DD-MON-RR' as the default date format? The 'RR' interprets
>digits 00 to 49 as 2000 to 2049 and digits 50 to 99 as 1950 to 1999.
>I have set NLS_DATE_FORMAT = 'DD-MON-RR' in init.ora and in
>sqlplus it appears to work but when you call up the same data in
>a form and make a change to the record, it commits it as 19nn.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Thanks,
>Parker.Barrington_at_Dal.Ca

Thanks to veryone who replied. It appears that the problem is that the length of the field and the format mask used are employed by Forms 3.0 in controlling the contents of the field.

If the field is less than 11 characters (assuming a dd/mon/yy mask or no mask , which defaults to the dd-mon-yy format) then Forms will apply the yy mask in utilising the data. As a result the CURRENT century is employed in all cases. As indicated by Tommy Wareing (thanks Tommy), using an 11 character field with the yyyy in the format will preserve the century.

Another possibility might be to 'replace' the field on the screen with a character field (same length so that user thinks it is the same field) and have the syncronised date field hidden on the form. This would mean keeping the 'new' field in sync with the hidden one so that if the user changes the 'new' field, we need to change the values of the true synchronised data field. This means that the user doesn;t have to key in the extra digits but it is a lot more programming effort.

I forgot to say previously that we are using Oracle 6.0 so the 'rr' mask is out of the question,

again thanks to everyone. Received on Thu Apr 30 1998 - 13:52:01 CEST

Original text of this message