Re: Developer/2000 R2.0: Application deployment

From: <Russell_Therrien_at_tst.tracor.com>
Date: 1998/04/11

On Thu, 09 Apr 1998 14:57:58 -0500, Adrian Klingel <klingela_at_nospam.nt.com> wrote:

>Has anyone actually ever successfully deployed a Forms application?
>>Here's what I want a user to do:
>
>1) Install the application from whatever media.
>
>2) Click an icon to run the application.
>
>And that's it.

I did actually figure out how to use the EXTRAS/DEPLOY stuff from the Developer CD. After that was working to install the runtimes and SQL*Net, I created an appname.reg file and a desktop shortcut icon that was included in an installation directory on the network. I created Very specific directions for installation. It requires only that the user can read, know how to map a drive (to the app forms), that the drive mapped is the SAME for ALL USERS, that they know how to drag'n'drop, and that IS has an IP stack on the machine.

If they need to be standalone, or whatever, obviously the install needs to include all the forms and reports. THAT's WORK to include in the Oracle Installer !! Better doing a separate copy build and let them craeate a shortcut launching FRUN to the start.fmx.

Good luck with your project !!
Russ Therrien,
Information Systems Administrator (DBA wannabe !) TRACOR Systems Technologies, Inc.
Student Information Systems
California, MD Received on Sat Apr 11 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message