Re: Q: letting users see v$process table

From: Michael Serbanescu <mserban_at_postoffice.worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1997/11/23

I would say that you have three options. I list them in order from "worst" to "best". Note that they are EITHER/OR, i.e. use 1 OR 2 OR 3, but not any combination.

  1. Grant the admin user the SELECT ANY TABLE system privilege (Ouch !)
  2. Have the admin user run the $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/catdbsyn.sql script (creates private synonyms for the V_$ tables).
  3. As user SYS, run the script $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/utlmontr.sql. This script creates the MONITORER role. The role is granted SELECT privilege on all the V_$ tables accessed by the character-mode SQLDBA (remember it ?), including V_$PROCESS. Note that the script grants the MONITORER role to PUBLIC, so you may want to remove/comment out that line from the script before running it (or revoke MONITORER from PUBLIC afterwards). Then grant the MONITORER role to that admin user.

Hope this helps.

Michael Serbanescu