Re: D2K, optional foreign key on intersection tables?

From: Tim Hall <tim.hall_at_spambuster.com>
Date: 1997/10/10

On Thu, 9 Oct 1997 10:10:42 +0100, Andy Hardy <Andy_Hardy_at_camk.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a many to many relationship between two entities (FIRST with PK
>of FIRST_KEY and SECOND with a PK of SECOND_KEY).
>
>I want the intersection table generated to support this relationship to
>have an optional foreign key to support the SECOND key.
>
>In other words, I want the following to appear
>FIRST
> FIRST_KEY NOT NULL
>SECOND
> SECOND_KEY NOT NULL
>FIRSTS_SECONDS
> FIRST_KEY NOT NULL
> SECOND_KEY NULL
>
>so that an entry in FIRSTS_SECONDS if not null must reference a value in
>SECONDS.
>
>This is easy in standard Oracle, but I don't seem to be able to get D2K
>to generate the required intersection table from the ERD? I've tried
>making the relationships optional...
>
>Does what I'm attempting make sense? The intersection table will
>eventually have all the attributes filled and must be valid but during
>the 'load' process the details of SECOND are unknown.
>
>Any ideas?

Are you creating the intersection entity, or are you allowing the wizard to resolve the many-to-many? In the latter case, it will always make both keys mandatory.

Tim Hall, Indus International

http://www.tswi.com
http://www.indusgroup.com

Replace "spambuster" with "tswi" before replying via email Received on Fri Oct 10 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message