Re: Designer/2000 - Reverse Engineer db problem

From: Andy Hardy <Andy_Hardy_at_camk.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/09/03

In article <340d3c1e.9197571_at_69.0.9.9>, Tim Hall <tim.hall_at_tswi.spambuster.com> writes
>On Wed, 3 Sep 1997 09:11:45 +0100, Andy Hardy
><Andy_Hardy_at_camk.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>I'm trying to reverse engineer an existing database and have a couple of
>>problems:
>>
>>1. RE from database produces a TNS 12203 connection failure. I'm using
>>the name of the remote database owner as the object owner, the remote
>>database owner and password as the connection owner/password and the TNS
>>alias for the connection string e.g dbowner, dbowner/password and
>>server1_db in the appropriate boxes.
>>
>>This connection works fine from sql*plus e.g sqlplus
>>dbowner/password_at_server1_db.
>
>Is the remote database defined in TNSNAMES.ORA on the server that
>Des2k is running on? (That one caught us out). If so, the reason
>you can still connect in SQL*PLUS is because that using the
>TNSNAMES.ORA on the client.
Tim,

Yes, it's there!

I should have clarified, I ran the sql*plus from the Des/2k server.

Further fiddling with sqlnet.ora tracing seems to show that no network activity occurs for the supposed link to the remote database during the RE - I have trace level set to 9 and there is no mention of my server1_db connection attempt.

Andy

--
Andy Hardy