Re: Designer 2000 Generators

From: Tom Ricciardi <tomr_at_teleport.com>
Date: 1997/08/15

Derek:

Jeff is correct, Designer/2000 does not reverse engineer the post-generation changes made in Developer. If you need highly customized features in your applications, then there are places to insert manual code in the MDD page text (such as putting your own JavaScripts in the header, for example). You also have the (very ugly) option of manually editing the generated code. We have had some success pulling the generated *.PKB files into a text editor and working with them (you need intimate knowledge of the Web Developer's Toolkit to do this). Not for the faint of heart, this last process can quickly become an administrative nightmare. We prefer to generate modules from Designer/2000 and not do any post-generation changes at all. You can accomplish *almost* anything you need with this approach.

Jeff Jacobs wrote:

> Basically, all of your changes done in Developer/2000 are being lost.
>
> Des2k Webserver forms are generated directly from Des2k. The module type should
> be "Screen" and the language "Oracle Webserver". You basically use the Module
> Data Diagrammer and Preferences to define/tune/modify the module.
>
> Derek Licciardi <kressilac_at_unidial.com> wrote:

(SNIP)
> >We are currently
> >designing the module generating it and editing in Developer and the
> >reverse engineering into Designer to generate the WebServer code from
> >Designer. My boss is looking for a semi detailed list of shortcomings
> >this procedure will have. Any help, comments, pointers etc etc would be
> >helpful.

(SNIP)

--
-Tom