Re: SQL*Loader direct loading: ORA-04031 (shm problems)

From: Jurij Modic <jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si>
Date: 1997/07/02

On Tue, 01 Jul 1997 16:32:05 GMT,
Gerhard.Moeller_at_OFFIS.Uni-Oldenburg.de (Gerhard Moeller) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I try to load data with the SQL*Loader in several tables (with long
>types in it). This works perfectly fine with conventional load, but
>fails badly with direct load.
Since you are on UNIX use "oerr ora 4031" from your command line to get a rough explanation of the ususal causes and sollutions for this particular error.

I'd say your shared pool is very fragmented or is simply not big enough.

It loks to me that loader tries to load some object into the shared pool but can't find enough contigous free space in it due to one of the above reasons. Note that this is only my speculation as I don't realy know what loader does in the SGA prior to start loading when you use direct path method.

Try flushing your shared pool by "ALTER SYSTEM FLUSH SHARED POOL" or simply restart your database. If this doesn't help, increase the SHARED_POOL_SIZE in your init file.

Regards,

Jurij Modic                             Republic of Slovenia
tel: +386 61 178 55 14                  Ministry of Finance
fax: +386 61  21 45 84                  Zupanciceva 3
e-mail: jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si Ljubljana 1000