Re: 16 bit Application Connection Problem

From: Nathan Hughes <nhughes_at_cerberus.umd.umich.edu>
Date: 1997/07/02

[Quoted] On 10 Jun 1997 01:06:57 GMT, "Frederick Koo" <fkoo_at_g7systems.com> wrote:

>>Under NT4.0 Workstation and Personal Oracle for NT, on the same machine,
>>how does one connect to Oracle using TCP/IP loopback to the NT4.0 Oracle
>>database with a 16 bit SQL*NET TCP/IP driver (note the standard oracle
>>connection uses 32 bit TNS). We want to be able to do this, so that we
>>can connect the current production version of Cognos Impromptu (V3.5)
>>which is only 16bit, to the 32bit Oracle database all running on the
>>same portable.
>>
>>Any valuable input would be appreciated!

I think I'm misunderstanding your questin, but if not - it is quite simple to install both 16 and 32 bit sql*net on teh same box. Oracle homes are different (orawin & orant), 32 bit uses registry entires, 16 bit uses oracle.ini (pointed to by win.ini, setting [oracle]<cr>ora_config = <oracle ini location>). If you keep default they'll use different tnsnames.ora files, but you can get around that by setting tns_admin parameter (in oracle.ini or registry, or both) to point to one network\admin directory.

If I've totally misunderstood your questino or intent, let me know!

--
/(o\ Nathan D. Hughes
\o)/ nhughes_at_umich.edu