Re: editing in sql*plus

From: Dave Schweisguth <dcs_at_proton.chem.yale.edu>
Date: 1997/07/02

Dave Mausner (dmausner_at_brauntech.com) wrote:
: In article <5p0fl2$fla_at_news.Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>, Gerhard.Moeller_at_OFFIS.Uni-Oldenburg.de wrote:
: >Hi, the line editing in sql*plus is awksome. sql*plus supports the edit
: >command but that's about it. Arrowkeys do not work, a history is not
: >supported. Beeing like that, any to-date shell is far ahead in its editing
: >capabilities.
:
: take note, lewis carrol fans: awksome = awkward + awesome.

Rats. I'd hoped that it meant that SQL*Plus supported awk syntax.

: sql plus has only simple line editing to correct oops-type errors, not to
: write major applications. in an x- or osf- environment, or in ms-windows,
: you can open a sql plus session window and a vi window, and edit/save in
: one and _at_file in the other.

If you like Emacs (an acquired taste, certainly, but one worth acquiring), see "http://www.cs.indiana.edu:800/LCD/cover.html?sql". I use Jim Lange's SQL*Plus client and am very happy with it. (Have a look at the source to see how to turn off the annoying abbreviations.)

Cheers,

--
| Dave Schweisguth                     CuraGen Corp., Bioinformatics Dept. |
| dcs_at_proton.chem.yale.edu             New Haven, Connecticut              |