Re: What C/C++ libs to access Oracle on Sun?

From: <twod_at_not.valid>
Date: 1997/05/18

David Kramer (Dskramer_at_concentric.net) wrote:
: We are moving to a new phase of the project, and want to rewrite
: everything in C, C++, or java. I'm trying to find what libraries one uses
: to access Oracle in C or C++. I see mention of Pro*C here, and the OCI
: product from Oracle. Their web site doesn't really talk about development
: tools for Unix, though- everything is PS/Mac.

All the libraries to develop Pro*C/C++ are either part of your compiler installation - both the Sun compilers and gcc work - or the oracle products.

If you have installed Oraperl you should be OK assuming it was compiled on your current platform.

Perusing the Oracle supplied makefiles should give you a list of the libraries that are required.

If you can compile Pro*C then OCI should be OK too.

: Now, the developers that first set up Oracle and the rest of the sight are
: long gone, as are a significant portion of our Oracle manuals, so for all
: I know it was included on some CD we already have, but that would be good
: to know, too.

You know what they say 'Out of sight/site, out of mind' ! Ask the developers for the manuals back, no I mean it, they are not cheap.

All manuals should be on the products documentation CD-ROM, which is readable via Oracle book. It should be shipped with the RDBMS.

: Comparisons between options would also be a big help. Thanks.

I'd go either Pro*C or Pro*C++ at the current time. OCI is harder to learn/ mantain for no real performance gain. I am just looking at JSQL, but I'm not sure that it's in a state fit for comparsion with a Pro* language, sure you could run through a [JO]DBC /driverbridge, but I'd stick with Oraperl if that were the case !

The above are based on flat-out performance from an Oracle point of view, so tailor to your project's needs.

For the record I have done a lot of Pro*C/C++ development work and find that Oraperl can perform as well as 'average' Pro*C (ie no host arrays, etc). IAP

--
In an attempt to reduce junk email I use an invalid 'From' address.
My correct email address can can be determined by replacing 'not.valid' with