Re: Newbie Q - Report Writing tools

From: <Nilesh>
Date: 1997/05/14

Reports 2.5 can handle it very well.
Just set printer to 'ORACLE REPORTS ASCII DRIVER'.You will be able to obtain pure text files.Plus be sure to set In the Report Designer <MY-REPORT> Properties Box,on the Character Mode tab, check the 'USE CHARACTER UNITS IN DESIGNER'.Also Check the 'CONVERT BORDERS' checkbox.
After the first page is generated,Report Writer will promp for the location to save the file in,ususally with the 'prn' extension.But it is actually a text file and not any binary printer file. On ending the report, it can be viewed with any ordniary editor.Some editors may also reflect weird characters,but they wont come out in line printer reports and (hopefully) in the e-mails.
**If any of the objects in your Report Designer Layout are of a smaller dimension than a one unit character the report will show a blank in that location.If this is true for all objects,than the report will appear totally blank.Thus a report that prints very well to a laser printer may not come out at all in pure character mode.I got stuck up on this one problem and went crazy trying to figure it out.

Hope this helps.
Nilesh Porwal
nilesh_at_cheerful.com
Bombay,India.

In article <337877B7.4640_at_eh.micropat.com>, "Fred says...