Urgent - SQL Net error

From: Bruce Dodds <bruce_at_juniper.com>
Date: 1997/04/17

I'm attaching to an Oracle table from an Access program over a full T1 link. I'm getting a SQL Net error message (ORA-12154) that makes no sense.

These are the tools:

Windows 3.11, loaded from NetWare 3.12 LAN MS Access 2.0
Intersolv DataDirect ODBC driver, rel 2.11 GA SQL Net 2.2
Oracle 7.2

The error message appears when I try to log in to the Oracle database. The complete message is below:

ORA-12154 TNS:could not resolve service name

This message only appears when my Access program code tries to open an Oracle table. I can open an attached Oracle table manually from within Access with no problem, so the problem clearly is not with the TNSNAMES.ORA file, as the manual suggests.

I had this problem before at a different, but similar, workstation. It went away when I increased the size of the Windows permanent swap file. That does not solve the problem at the new workstation.

One difference in the new setup that the SQL Net drivers are being loaded from the LAN, rather than the local hard drive. Other than that, I don't know what the problem could be. My sense is that some resource needs to be increased.

Have others had this error message in a similar context? What fixes (if any) have worked?

Many thanks Received on Thu Apr 17 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message