Re: Large vs Small Fonts on Win95 with 16-bit Oracle Forms

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: 1997/02/26

First of all, do NOT crosspost to all four oracle newsgroups--your question has nothing to do with the server or marketplace newsgroups. And furthermore, don't post anything to the old comp.databases.oracle newsgroup. (I have trimmed the newsgroups list down to two for this reply.)

And now to answer your question. Using small fonts vs large fonts is the same problem as developing a form for different monitor resolutions. You have to develop the form for your users' monitors. And if you have users who use different monitor resolutions (or font settings), you have a big problem--somebody isn't going to be happy. Either you are going to have to redesign your layouts, or your users are going to need to switch monitor settings.

Unfortunately, you have probably the worst case: developing with small fonts and then trying to switch to large fonts. Had you gone the other way, at least no text would get cut off.

You can get left-hand or right-hand alignment to remain true across both settings if you create your boilerplate text and assign the proper alignment to it: In the canvas Layout Editor, select a boilerplate text item. Then click Format, Drawing Options, Text; then select the desired Horizontal Origin for the item. This controls which "corner" of the text item gets "pinned" on the canvas when changing fonts or monitor resolution.

(And changing to 32-bit forms won't help this situation.)

Hope this helps,
Steve Cosner