Data Mapping in Designer/ 2000

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/02/23

[Quoted] We have a problem of reconciling multiple data structures and are considering using Designer/2000 to help us. Does any one have any experience of doing something similar?

THe situation is that we need to build interfaces between several completely different systems which contain much the same data and we would like to document the data mapping. I imagine we would have one logical attribute (eg trade_date date) and a number of physical attributes with a name and a format (eg TRDDAT INTEGER (Julian date), trade_date float (1904 based offset). There are complications in that in some cases the mapping is not one to one between systems.

We would like to be able to store the information and produce a report with a format something like this.

Logical          System1                        System2          SystemN

Name  Log.Type   Name(s) Phys Type              etc
                 Derivation

I have a half thought-out scheme which goes something like this.

Create an application for each system and for the logical model. Create a logical model and share it with the others. Derive tables from the shared entities and modify the table formats and descriptions to match the physical structure of the other systems. OR
Retrofit tables into the applications and then somehow link those the the entities shared from the other application.

Is this feasible, or is there a better way?

TIA

--
Jim Smith