Date format for Oracle Forms date field

From: macpherson <macpher_at_hsd.utc.com>
Date: 1997/02/17

[Quoted] This is my first post to this newsgroup, so please let me know if it is mis-posted.

Question:

[Quoted] Has anybody figured out a nice way to allow a user to enter the date in a date field on a form with AND without delimiters?

Oracle's party line is to constrain the user with the FX prefix so that they can't enter an invalid date (one without delimiters). Without the FX prefix, and with a format mask of MM/DD/YYYY, a user can enter 12121994 and end up with a parsed date of 12/21/0094. It takes the 3rd and 6th characters:

		12 1 21 9 94
		12 / 21 / 94

and automatically replaces them with delimiters and the result is 12/21/0094.

A mask of MMDDYYYY won't allow delimiters at all, so this is not a solution either.

I am curious if anyone has found a more user-friendly solution than the one that Oracle gave me. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John Macpherson

--
       John E. Macpherson       |  H A M I L T O N   S T A N D A R D
    Senior Software Engineer    |    A United Technologies Company