Re: Date format for Oracle Forms date field

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: 1997/02/19

In article <3308EBC8.3F54_at_hsd.utc.com>, macpherson <macpher_at_hsd.utc.com> wrote:
>This is my first post to this newsgroup, so please let me know if it is
>mis-posted.

For Forms questions, most people use comp.databases.oracle.tools

>Question:
>--------
>Has anybody figured out a nice way to allow a user to enter the date in
>a date field on a form with AND without delimiters?

The easy way is to forget delimiters, and display the date as MMDDYY or something like that.

More difficult, but more user-friendly is to write your own routine to accept the date either way into a text (not date) item, and edit it for validity using your own code, then display it back to the item filling in the delimiters you want. You would also need a true datetime hidden item to use as the base table item, moving data from and to this item when the table is queried, and after you edit the user's input.

The QA utility form described (and available free) at http://members.aol.com/stevec5088 allows a number of date input formats and always redisplays the date in MM/DD/YYYY format.

Regards,
Steve Cosner Received on Wed Feb 19 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message