Re: Using COBOL with Oracle

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: 1997/02/11

In article <009AF7CF.CEF1246C_at_vms.csd.mu.edu>, Ed Gryga - Marquette University <9066grygae_at_vms.csd.mu.edu> wrote:
>I'm looking for anyone that has or is using COBOL for Oracle processing.
>
>We are in the process of converting from DEC/Rdb to Oracle.
>
>If anyone has experience using COBOL with Oracle, I would appreciate talking
>with you either by phone or through e-mail.

In converting a student records system from an IBM Cobol system to Oracle client/server, we are not using any Cobol, even though I created a cobol program over a year ago that would access the Oracle database. This was a trial project just so we would know how to do it when the need arose. However, so far, no other Cobol programs have been necessary. We do reports with Oracle Reports, and batch updating is done with pl/sql running under SQL Plus.

The Pro Cobol manual from Oracle was all I needed to access the database from Cobol.

Good Luck,
Steve Cosner Received on Tue Feb 11 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message