Re: Using COBOL with Oracle

From: L120bj <l120bj_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/02/22

I've written a number of PRO*Cobol programs so if you have any queries just mail me. Also, if you're on version 7.3 of ORACLE then you can read/write flat files using the UTL_FILE package. It has a few foibles, like ORACLE being the file owner when running on a Unix box, but so far we've found that converting PRO*Cobol programs to PL/SQL using UTL_FILE has speeded them up quite a bit, 'cos communication between the Cobol program and the ORACLE database can be rather poor, with SQL*Net spending a lot of time 'waiting' for reponses. Received on Sat Feb 22 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message