Re: help: local managed tablespace, next extent

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 20:36:02 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 13:02:46 -0700, dshproperty wrote:

> Dear group,
>
> I have a tablespace which is 300G and devided into 15 datafiles.
>
> The tablespace is local managed.
>
> But recently when it expends, it took 14G of free space.
>
> How does Oracle decide next extent when it comes to datafile expansion?
> is this adjustable?
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Charlie

Charlie, that's the point of the locally managed tablespaces: the extent size is determined by the tablespace, not by the DBA. If your locally managed tablespace is declared as "AUTOALLOCATE", then the next extent will depend on what you already have. The minimum extent size will range from 64k to 512M, all sizes being the powers of 2. If the extent size is fixed, that there is no choice.

--
Mladen Gogala
The Oracle Whisperer