Re: help: local managed tablespace, next extent

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 08:42:49 -0700 (PDT)

On Monday, September 23, 2013 1:02:46 PM UTC-7, dshpr..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> Dear group,

> I have a tablespace which is 300G and devided into 15 datafiles.

> The tablespace is local managed.

> But recently when it expends, it took 14G of free space.

> How does Oracle decide next extent when it comes to datafile expansion? is this adjustable?

> Thanks for your help

> Charlie

See http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:25322140091802

Are you adding and modifying large objects? Are you using ASSM? You might be hitting bugs or application oddities. Always remember to state your exact oracle version. You can google Jonathan Lewis ASSM for some things to watch for.

You can modify the data file NEXT size with the ALTER DATABASE alter data file clause http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28286/statements_1004.htm#i2082829

This type of administration may be easier with dbconsole - almost too easy, so be careful.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
These must be the end times: http://www.geekwire.com/2013/microsoft-deliver-firstever-oracle-openworld-keynote/