Oh, lovely!......

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 14:07:04 -0800 (PST)

Release: 11.2.0.3
OS: Aix 7.1 64-bit
Problem:
  1 SELECT SYS_CONTEXT('USERENV','SESSION_USER')   2 ,SYS_CONTEXT('USERENV','IP_ADDRESS')   3* from dual
SQL> /
SYS_CONTEXT('USERENV','SESSION_USER')

SYS_CONTEXT('USERENV','IP_ADDRESS')

SYS
****(null)

Excuse moah? I can't see the IP Address of my session? This has only worked since I forgot when, now it stopped working? Yes, this is "dba1.0" sqlplus code - any problems with that? No, we are not on IPV6 - we are on IPV4 and according to the 11.2 SQL guide this MUST work. No, we are NOT going to change our entire OS platform so that Oracle doesn't have to do testing of their Aix releases!!!!

Who authorized this ABORTION to reach production-ready status, mr Oracle?????? Worse: how come in the two years this nonsense has been out NO ONE has detected this BASIC problem? How come I have to do alpha testing for software that is costing me 5 figures yearly to maintain a support contract on?

No, I don't expect an answer here.
Just venting.
And looking at options for future database software: this entire rigmarole has now reached "beyond the joke" status... Received on Tue Mar 06 2012 - 16:07:04 CST

Original text of this message