Re: Oh, lovely!......

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 16:08:50 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 6, 2:07 pm, Noons <wizofo..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Release: 11.2.0.3
> OS: Aix 7.1 64-bit
> Problem:
>   1  SELECT SYS_CONTEXT('USERENV','SESSION_USER')
>   2             ,SYS_CONTEXT('USERENV','IP_ADDRESS')
>   3* from dual
> SQL> /
> SYS_CONTEXT('USERENV','SESSION_USER')
> SYS_CONTEXT('USERENV','IP_ADDRESS')
> SYS
> ****(null)
>
> Excuse moah? I can't see the IP Address of my session?
> This has only worked since I forgot when, now it stopped working?
> Yes, this is "dba1.0" sqlplus code - any problems with that?
> No, we are not on IPV6 - we are on IPV4 and according to the 11.2 SQL guide this MUST work.
> No, we are NOT going to change our entire OS platform so that Oracle doesn't have to do testing of their Aix releases!!!!
>
> Who authorized this ABORTION to reach production-ready status, mr Oracle??????
> Worse: how come in the two years this nonsense has been out NO ONE has detected this BASIC problem?
> How come I have to do alpha testing for software that is costing me 5 figures yearly to maintain a support contract on?
>
> No, I don't expect an answer here.
> Just venting.
> And looking at options for future database software:
> this entire rigmarole has now reached "beyond the joke" status...

I find the same thing in XE 11g on windows and 10.2.0.4 on hp-ux, both as sysdba and as a user. When was the last time it worked? I see some package owa_sec in the docs, maybe it just got old/replaced by fusion. You don't have to be 2.0 to be super-duper-packages-man.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
So I'm waiting at a stoplight, press the radio button for business