Btrfs

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 15:46:53 +0000 (UTC)

Recently, Oracle decided to close OCFS2 for all Linux vendors, except the O(E)L versions. That decision might make sense if the next generation file system being developed at Oracle Corp., the beast called "Btrfs", will have cluster capabilities. The design goals are described on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Btrfs It is not a clustered file system but only "a better ZFS". With OCFS2 becoming closed source and GFS2 not being supported, that is a big restriction for Linux users. Does anybody have any rumors? What are Oracle plans with respect to the cluster file systems? I finally succeeded in installing RAC on my F14 box, using my Ubuntu 10.10 laptop as the file server, which is less than ideal solution. Will Oracle support GFS2? Single instance performance on GFS2 looks quite OK and not worse than the performance on Ext4. I will make a test suite and benchmark single instance on GFS2, Btrfs and Ext4, just to see whether there are any differences.
--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com