Re: Dataguard and OEM

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 04:44:08 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 10:53:07 -0800, joel garry wrote:

> On Nov 1, 1:01 pm, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 11:49:08 +0100, Fabrice wrote:
>> > You can avoid to read my post if you don't want.
>>
>> I can't know that without opening it. Please, go and subscribe to
>> oracle-l. That is for beginners. This is not.
>>
>> --http://mgogala.freehos.com

> I disagree. Why would this not be for beginners? See How to Ask
> Questions the Smart Way. Does that not specifically say newbies in its
> target audience? Non-beginners are an afterthought there. We don't
> exclude newbies, we just insist they ask decent questions.
> dbconsole/grid questions aren't necessarily indecent. But not searching
> the web is indecent:
> http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=837701
>
> jg

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. You are right. Nevertheless, I do have a problem with the people unwilling to put in a bit of their own work. This guy wants to open EM console on a database that isn't even open, it's perpetually recovering. EM console usually needs an open database to create the repository in.

He was, of course, unsuccessful but didn't stop to try to figure out why, he simply asked the question. That prompted my reaction. Beginners per se are, of course, welcome, much the same way that a lamb is welcome to the pack of wolves. The element of respect must be present or this forum will become as useless as oracle-l. Online forums are not a replacement for reading the manuals. There is no Steve Adams here to rescue the lambs.

Quite appropriately, there is an old saying, usually attributed to Ben Franklin: democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is well armed lamb contesting the vote.

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com