Re: oracle-l

From: gazzag <>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 05:07:30 -0800 (PST)

On 2 Nov, 17:57, joel garry <> wrote:
> Take another look at the link you posted.  English is not the official
> language in the United States, though it is in some states.  This has
> profound implications where I live, where English _is_ the official
> language, and 25% of the schoolchildren primarily speak one of about
> 65 other languages (much higher % in my immediate area).  In the Los
> Angeles metropolitan area, the majority of households are primarily
> non-English speaking.

I take your point, Joel. The Wikipedia entry says:

"Official languages: None at federal level National language: English (de facto)"

Still, it's not "Amercan" which was my point.

> I think it is pretty stupid to have something
> against people just because English isn't their first language.

I agree. I currently live in the UK - where I was born - but have spent a large proportion of my life living in other people's countries and have always attempted to pick up the local lingo. I reckon I can order beer in about eight different languages ;)

> jg
> --

-g Received on Tue Nov 03 2009 - 07:07:30 CST

Original text of this message